Friday, April 18, 2008





WHERE IS YOUR TREASURE?



"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust (OR SPILLED COFFEE) can destroy and where thieves and break in and steal, BUT lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth or rust (OR SPILLED COFFEE) destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.FOR WHERE YOUR TREASURE IS, THERE YOUR HEART WILL BE ALSO!" Matthew 6: 19-21


Mark's sermon on this passage motivated me to ponder on where my treasures are.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE my gadgets! I LOVE LOVE LOVE technology! Love my laptop, love my iPod, love my Blackberry, love my HD TV.. etc etc... After Sunday's sermon I thought to myself, that although I love these things I "think" i'd be okay if they were gone.


Well... God put me to the test this week. On Tuesday my Blackberry stopped sending and receiving emails. I tried to fix it to no avail, so I brought it to the local ATT store and they tried with no success. They called the Techies at Blackberry and they tried to remotely fix it.. NOPE. They determined that it was the device that was broken and could not be repaired. I pretty much spent half the day at ATT! The young girl who was helping me at ATT was very apologetic saying that she knows how important cell phones and particulary blackberries are to people. I smiled at her and said, "Ya know what? if this is the worst thing that happens to me today then I am a very blessed woman." She looked at me and said, "WOW! That is a great attitude." And then they gave me a new phone FOR FREE! We discovered it was still under warrenty. I didn't expect that. I figured I was out a blackberry and it was OK!


THEN TODAY:


As I was at the computer early this morning at my desk, my lamp fell, hit the coffee cup and SPLASH! Coffee spilled ALL over my laptop!!!!! I jumped up, turned it upside down to drain and then, a message appeared: "Hard drive has halted." ... then it faded to black. I am HORRIBLE at backing my files. So, I pretty much lost everything. Addresses, Care Group stuff, bible study lessons, a study guide I was writing, etc etc etc.. the list goes on and on.


My response? Calm and peaceful!!!! I ran upstairs to tell Dennis what happened. He came down and fiddled with it. His response? Calm and peaceful!!!!!!


I give ALL glory to God for mine and Dennis's responses! There was a day when I would have cried and been angry at myself and anyone in my way. Dennis would be been angry and seen $ signs before his eyes! NEITHER ONE OF US HAD THOSE RESPONSES!! How can this be?????


It is our dear Savior and God working in us, forming us and changing us to be like Christ! In my flesh I would not respond with such peace.... Dennis and I both looked at one another and said, "Well, the computer died, at least it wasn't one of our kids." ... God has given us a godly perspective.


I thank God and God alone that although I love my technology and gadgets, my treasure is indeed JESUS CHRIST and Him alone! It is HIS work alone in my life, changing my heart to love only HIM! May it always be so with greater increase each and every moment! Thank you Lord God for giving me a heart to love you! I love you because you first loved me!

No comments: