Friday, April 11, 2008




“My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, O my soul!!!!!” (Horatio G. Spafford 1873)

Luke 7:37, 38,47
“And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at at table int he Pharisee's house, rought an alabaster flask of ointment, and standing behind Him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. ..Therefore I tell you, her sins which are many, are forgiven-for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.”

Reading this scripture today I remember back in the days when I was under the teaching that we are not sinners but saints. I was taught that if I think I am a saint then I won’t sin. Ugh! The truth is, those who are saved, are indeed saints, but we are also sinners. It is a 2-sided coin. We are both! I am embarrassed to say that in those days I was taught to believe that those who considered themselves sinners were immature and uninformed, that these people took joy in beating themselves up for their sin.

OH! How I thank God for opening my eyes and showing me the depth of my sin and the extent of my depravity!!! For I found that the truth of scripture is this: Only when I realize that I am a sinner, that I sin and it is deep and extensive, do I appreciate all the more the grace and love of my God!!!!


It has served, not to make me sad and morose but joyful and grateful and has increased my affections for Jesus!!!!! I am rejoicing night and day for the amazing grace given to me by God! I am no longer a slave to sin. Sin no longer has dominion over me. BUT I do sin and my joy is this: that Jesus died for my sins and God is working in me and making me holy.

The woman in this scripture cried and wiped Jesus feet with her hair and anointed Jesus feet in repentance and gratitude for she understood her great sin and God’s great forgiveness found in Jesus. The Pharisee was appalled because he felt his sin was small and his goodness great. May I never again consider my sin small. It serves to make me prideful.

How much more effective for my soul it is to realize the depth of my sin. Thank you Lord God for dying for my sins. Thank you for opening my eyes to realize that although you count me a saint in Christ Jesus I now see the depth of my sin. The longer I walk with you the more I see my sin. Thank you for giving me this understanding. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul!!!!!!

No comments: