Wednesday, April 30, 2008

HE LOVED ME FIRST
1 John 4:19
“We love because He first loved us.”

I will never forget going to the memorial service of a man in my church just a few months ago and we had the privilege of seeing a video of Mark taken months, or maybe weeks before He died. Marie (his wife) asked him, “Mark, why do you love Jesus?” and Mark answered through labored speech, “I love Jesus because He first loved me.” He then proceeded to share the gospel.
It was beautiful! I would have answered that question with, “because he died for my sins” or “ because he saved me from God’s wrath.” Those statements are true, but bottom line is this, if Jesus didn’t love me first, if God HIMSELF didn’t open my eyes to see the beauty of Jesus, if God Himself didn’t put a measure of faith in my heart, I WOULD NOT HAVE LOVED JESUS! I would have gone my own way sinning and sinning until I died.

BUT

God loved me first!! He opened my eyes and let me see!!

There’s an old hymn that I love: Here is the link if you want to listen to an updated version: http://voiceofthesheep.wordpress.com/2008/01/20/my-lord-i-did-not-choose-you/


My Lord I did not choose You
For that could never be
My heart would still refuse You
Had You not chosen me

You took the sin that stained me
Cleansed me, made me new
Of old, You have ordained me
That I should live in You

My Lord I did not choose You
For that could never be
My heart would still refuse You
Had You not chosen me

Unless Your grace had called me
And taught my opening mind
The world would have enthralled me
To heavenly glories blind

My Lord I did not choose You
For that could never be
My heart would still refuse You
Had You not chosen me

My heart knows none above You
For Your rich grace I thirst
I know that if I love You
You must have loved me first

My Lord I did not choose You
For that could never be
My heart would still refuse You
Had You not chosen me
Copyright 2003 Detuned Radio Music. Words by Josiah Conder, Music by Matthew Smith

Oh Lord God! Thank you so much for loving me and choosing me! I am in awe today of your love, grace and mercy! There is nothing in me that would cause you to love me .. it is all due to YOUR love, YOUR grace, YOUR mercy! I am humbled today by your grace. I love you Jesus. Thank you that I love You. Amen.

No comments: