Tuesday, April 29, 2008

RANSOMED


1 Peter 1:18-19
“…knowing that YOU WERE RANSOMED from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver and gold, but the PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.”

Revelations 5:9
“…for you were slain, and BY YOUR BLOOD you RANSOMED PEOPLE FOR GOD from every tribe and language and people and nation, and You made them a Kingdom and priests to our God and they shall reign on the earth.”

When I read these scriptures this morning I had the picture in my head of the movie RANSOM that came out about 10 years ago starring Mel Gibson. Do you remember it? I think of the picture of him sitting at a desk surrounded by a million+ dollars and yelling into a tv camera that he is not going to give in and pay the ransom. He was calling the kidnapper’s bluff. He refused to be “had” by the kidnappers. His precious boy was being held prisoner and he decided to make a statement instead of paying whatever it took in order to reclaim his son.

Then I read these beautiful scriptures about being ransomed and I think about how Jesus WILLINGLY laid down His life and spilled his PRECIOUS BLOOD, HIS LIFE, for the elect. He ransomed us, rescued us, paid for us with not millions of dollars but with his very blood. If this ransom had not been paid, if Jesus decided to “make a statement” and not humble himself to the point of death, we would have NO HOPE! BUT… Jesus was slain and by HIS BLOOD He ransomed a people for God. WOW! It was impossible for Jesus to do anything but that which was the will of God. Jesus is so full of mercy, compassion, grace and love, obedience and humility, it was HIS joy to ransom us by His precious blood. Jesus did not look into a camera and say, “ I will not be had”.. instead he looked to the Father and sacrificed His life for us.

I cannot put my arms around the greatness of this kind of love. It’s too huge for me to comprehend. Instead, I shall rest in it and be joyful today that Jesus spent His precious blood for me… and you.

No comments: