Thursday, April 24, 2008



GIVE YOURSELF TO PRAYER



Psalm 109:3-5,21

“They encircle me with words of hate, and attack me without cause. In return for my love they accuse me, but I GIVE MYSELF TO PRAYER.
So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love. BUT you, O God my Lord, deal on my behalf for your names sake; because your steadfast love is good, deliver me.”

It is hard to hear words of hate at anytime, but particularly when they are spewed forth without cause and especially when they are from the mouth of a friend! The psalmist has the right answer, GIVE YOURSELF TO PRAYER!


It is hard to be hated, to have loved someone and be given hate in return. The “feeling” of betrayal is sharp indeed. BUT the scriptures tell us over and over again that God deals on our behalf, it’s not up to me, it's not up to you, it’s up to him. Our response should be to give ourselves to prayer and to entrust ourselves to God alone. He alone can ease the pain of the shards of sharp words that penetrate the heart and mind.


The answer is so simple. GIVE YOURSELF TO PRAYER!


Giving ourselves to prayer, immersing ourselves in Scripture is THE way to walk in the light of the gospel in trials like these.


Remind yourself that if someone has sinned against us, our response must be one of forgiveness. If they are believers, they are forgiven through Jesus Christ, just like we are, for all our sins. If they are not, they will have to face God with this sin.


Then, think on this!!! What if we had to face God with even just ONE of our many sins??? I cannot EVEN imagine what it would be like to have to face the wrath of God!!! I lived for almost 33 years without God in my life but even then I never had to face his wrath! Thinking on this should drive us to prayer on behalf of the person who has sinned against us!


Praying like this would certainly change our heart as we think about the offense:

Thank you Lord for your mercy on my life! Jesus, you endured the wrath of God the Father for sins that you didn’t even commit!!! Do I think I deserve better than you had to endure? I’m only asked to bear the wrath and slander of one friend and even still I am doing much better than I deserve! Thank you Lord for calling me to prayer, prayer to bear the heartache of hurt feelings and prayer for the one who has offended. Please be merciful to my friend, O Lord and draw my friend near to you. Amen.

No comments: