Thursday, April 17, 2008




TAMING THE TONGUE



James 3:8-10
“…but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth comes blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.”

My meditation on what comes out of my mouth continues. J I have pondered, so far this week, about guarding my mouth, about speaking words of grace that builds others up, and today I am reminded that it is common to man to talk out of both sides of the mouth.

I sing songs of worship! I pray! I bless the Lord! And then this same mouth speaks words of grumbling about others, judgement on others, slander and gossip about others!! Ugh!!!! James tells us that this ought not be so!!!!

The good news as found in the gospel is this: We who have repented of our sins and trust Jesus Christ for salvation are NOT slaves to sin any longer. We are NOT slaves to our tongue any longer!!! Milton Vincent’s Gospel Primer reminds me that “the righteousness that God credited to me became my master on the day I was converted!!” (page 21) I am now a slave to righteousness! Now I must surrender my tongue “to do whatever this righteousness dictates.” (Gospel Primer, page 21).

When I was first converted almost 20 years ago, I read this Scripture in James and realized that God did not want me to use foul language anymore! I remember being so shocked and moved by this scripture and from that day forward my language was cleaned up!! I KNOW it was a work of God in my life. HE cleaned up my mouth! I must surrender all my words to the Lord!

Lord God, today I surrender my tongue to you!!! I do not want to surrender to my flesh. I do not want to surrender to gossip, slander, uncharitable judgements or grumbling about others! I need your help O God! I desire to surrender to the righteousness that you have credited to me! Work in me O God and convict my heart and may the words that come forth from my mouth be pleasing and glorifying to you and edify the hearers of my words. In Jesus name. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so blessed to have come across your blog. I can relate very much to the issue of the tongue.