Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SHHHHHH!









Ecclesiastes 3:1,7b

“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven…a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.”

Last week, for several days, I pondered on scriptures that warn us about the dangers of the tongue, and I prayed that God would guard my tongue and help me to speak only words of grace and encouragement. This week, because of a new trial in my life, I see that I must keep silent, period. Words of grace fell on deaf ears.

I prayed and wrote about this yesterday… about the temptations to defend myself, to demand justice, to accuse back!!! Yet, by God’s grace, I want to follow the example of Jesus and not revile in return, to keep silent. There are several scriptures that speak about Jesus remaining silent and NOT defending Himself.
So, with God’s help, I will remain silent. I will not defend myself. I will entrust myself to the ONE who judges justly.

The truth of the matter? The gospel is helping me so much! God has forgiven the one who accuses me the same why God has forgiven me. CHRIST DIED FOR MY SINS! It is true for me and it is true for the one who accuses me!!! I can keep silent because JESUS remained silent. I am not remaining silent in anger!!! I am remaining silent because God is showing me how to lay down my “right” to defend myself. I am learningto die to self in this trial.

I can remain silent because JESUS died for my sins and those of my accuser. WOW! Such rest and peace to be found in the gospel!

Jesus, thank you so much that by your grace I can be silent and not defend myself. I started to defend myself, Lord, and my beginning responses to this trial I did, but then you showed me ,Lord, that by your work in me I can be silent. Thank you Jesus that you yourself are my peace. May you bring YOUR peace to my friend. Amen.

No comments: