Sunday, April 27, 2008

PUT ON NEW WAYS OF LIVING

Colossians 3:12-15

“Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, bearing with one another and, if one a complaint against another, forgiving each other, as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.”

When I read this passage this morning my first thought was, “oh, if only everyone in the body of Christ would take this scripture to heart.” And then it came to mind that I cannot do anything about anyone else’s behavior but I can do something about mine!!! I began to think on what it would be like if I lived out my every moment with every person in my life with a compassionate heart, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, bearing with others and always forgiving and loving them!!! WOW! My life would radically change and I imagine that those around me might be affected as well!

Lord God, assist me in living this way. Help me to stop thinking about how OTHERS should be living this way but instead entrust myself to you, surrender to you and live this way myself! Lord, I need your help for I know that left to myself I would live in the opposite way! I would be critical, prideful, impatient, holding grudges against others. Lord, I do not want to live this way anymore, not one little tiny bit! I thank you that by the work of Jesus on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit in me I am not a slave to this sinful way of behavior but instead I am a slave to living in love and meekness and patience, forgiving others! Oh God this fills my heart with joy for THIS is the life that this new creation was created to live! Thank you that I can count on your assistance for you are going to complete in me what you have begun! In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: