Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tribute to Edith Wickert
2 Corinthians 5:7
“For we walk by faith, not by sight.”

Yesterday in the early afternoon an elderly friend of mine (in her late 80’s) from Burke Community Church had the pleasure of leaving this world and seeing her Savior Jesus face to face. Can you imagine the joy she had upon seeing His face? It boggles my mind. She had pain and suffering as she was leaving this world but I imagine that once she passed from this world to the next, she forgot every bit of that suffering as she gazed upon Jesus.

I had the pleasure of serving the Lord with Edith in several ministries. For a while, she and I would get together at 5:30 AM at church on Friday mornings to pray for the church. Mind you, she was already in her late 70’s at this point! We taught women’s bible studies together (in the same ministry). We were in a ministry together that helped women see sin and sin patterns in their life and walk in freedom from these sins. It was such a privilege to serve the Lord with her.

Edith was such an elegant woman. She was a gracious, Southern woman, the kind you read about in novels with the beautiful white hair and the gracious and elegant speech. Top that with a deep love for Jesus.. yes, she was a wonderful woman of God. And so generous!

One day she and I were casually talking about our households and she asked me a question regarding my “silver”. I said, “What silver?” She said, “your silver bowls and serving pieces.” I said, “I don’t have any of those things.” She said, “Didn’t you get any for your wedding?” I said, “I think I have one serving piece.” She just nodded.
Next time we were together for bible study she handed me a gift box, wrapped up like a wedding present ( I had already been married for almost 20 years) and when I opened it there was a beautiful silver bowl in it. She told me it was one of her bowls, but she had so many she wanted me to have one. J Yes, Edith was a thoughtful and generous woman.

We will miss her here on earth. Her husband Tom will be so very lonely, I am sure. But, I can’t help but be excited and so happy for Edith today for even though you and I still must walk by faith and not by sight, Edith now walks by sight! She SEES her SAVIOR JESUS! Alleluia! Or as another friend of mine from BCC used to say, “GLORY”!!

1 comment:

dopie said...

Diane,
Thank you for your tribute to Edith; it was such a joy to read. I, too, was blessed by knowing Edith and being friend with her. I am so glad that she is with our Savior and complete and whole before Him, no longer suffering or in pain. I look forward to seeing her again one day.
Edith always encouraged me. Either through her cards, phone calls, or in person, she always paid me a sincere compliment each and every time. I had the pleasure of sitting under her leadership/being mentored in "Search for Significance". We would get together to discuss it over tea and cookies she served hospitably at her home. She would constantly pray for me and George, especially concerning conceiving children. We'd be talking on the phone and she would just go into prayer--conversing with God in the most natural way I have ever heard, in a most personal relationship. She was such an inspiration and encouragement to me; what an example of a dignified, refined Christian woman! She was like my "Virginia Grandma" (Jill Brandt was like my "Virginia Mom"). Thanks again for your post (I ran across it by typing in "Edith Wickert" at Google--can you believe it?). Love in Christ, Dawn Opie