Tuesday, June 17, 2008

James 2:13
“For judgement is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement.”

I read this scripture this morning and I realize that I am not very merciful. I am quick to point a finger. I am quick to show disgust, anger or frustration. Should I hate the sin I see in the world? YES! What should my response be, then? A love and compassion for the lost? YES! Then I wonder is it really enough to just love the lost in feelings? NO! It’s a great start but I am beginning to think that I must do more! I can’t share the gospel with EVERYONE who is lost but I can in my little piece of the world. To my family. To the people that God places in my life. The cashiers at Giant that I have come to know so well with over 16 years of shopping at the same store. My mailman? Give him/her an unexpected Gift Certificate and throw in a tract, then be available to talk when he/she next delivers the mail. I have asked God to show me how to be merciful and the ideas are beginning to flow!

If I hate the sin I see then I must realize that same sin was in me and some still remains in me!!! BUT, I have been forgiven and set free from the slavery to this sin by the sovereignty of God in giving me a measure of faith and the grace to believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins and HIS kindness brought me to repentance. Is this not mercy?
Then the most merciful thing I can do is to take measures to love people by sharing the very same gospel that saved me.

Please pray for me. I do not want to have this conviction today and ignore it. I want to act on it. Please pray for boldness for me. Please pray for courage to follow through on the ideas that God is giving me. Please pray that I am not just a hearer of the Word but a doer! I want God to be glorified. I want to share the gospel AND be merciful and loving and compassionate while hating sin and loving those that are made in the image of God.

As you can see… I have a lot on my mind today.

No comments: