Tuesday, June 24, 2008

“Acts 5:41
“Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the Name.” (of Jesus)

The Apostles had just been beaten and charged not to speak about Jesus.. and they left the council REJOICING!
I read this and I realize what a whiny butt I can be when I speak about Jesus to my friends or my fear of speaking of Jesus to the cashiers at Giant etc…why? Because I’m going to be beaten????????? NO! I might get a “funny” look or I might get “talked about”… but I can go into the store the next day and still buy my groceries with no fear of being beaten. Or I can still go to a family reunion and have no fear of being thrown in jail or of being beaten because I speak of the name of Jesus. I’m afraid, of… what? Not being liked? Of a “rolling of the eyes?” goodness!

So what did the apostles do after they were beaten? Did they run in their house and pray for the people? They may have, but they also did this:

v. 42
“And every day in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.”

WOW! And the same Holy Spirit that made them bold is the same Holy Spirit that lives in me and makes me bold. All I have to do is obey!
Please do not misunderstand me. I am not feeling condemnation. I am feeling encouraged that all I have to do is ask God for boldness and opportunities and courage and strength to obey and I’m pretty sure God will give me all of these!

Lord, please give me boldness and courage and strength to seize the opportunities you bring my way to share Christ!

No comments: