Friday, June 27, 2008

Romans 14:13,20,21

“Therefore let us not pass judgement on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. Do not, for the sake of food destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.”

I read these scriptures this afternoon and I’m reminded of my friend who was an alcoholic. One day she was drinking and partying for pure enjoyment and then God interrupted her life and she stopped drinking. It was indeed a work of God!!! He worked in her a greater thirst for Jesus than her thirst for alcohol! It was miraculous to witness and a joy to have had a ringside seat to this transformation. As I read these scriptures today I think of my friend’s new roommates. Before my friend moved in it came to her attention that the girls kept wine in the house. Now, it is not evil or even sinful to keep and drink wine UNLESS it would be a stumbling block for someone. As my friend brought this up with her potential roommates they informed her that they had already made the decision WITHOUT HER EVEN ASKING that if she moved in they would no longer keep alcohol in their house.

These young ladies put their money where their mouth is. These young ladies were not just hearers of the Word but doers of the Word! They were willing to set aside their own freedoms to ensure that their new roommate would not stumble.

I think of this song: “And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love. And they’ll know we are Christians by our love.” (written by Peter Scholte)

2 comments:

staff writer said...

Hi!

It's so amazing ... I currently work over here at Mason, and after a long commute yesterday I've been considering moving to this area. (I currently live over the WW Bridge). Anyway, I got on the computer a few minutes ago and thought, "I would actually like to see if anyone who goes to the-church-I'd-go-to-if-I-wasn't-already-at-my-current-church has an ad out for roommates." So I googled "Sovereign Grace Church Fairfax roommates" ... and your blog popped up!

Lol!

Anyway, I'm blessed by your writing. It's fantastic to hear of siblings in the faith who are so attuned to the Scripture that they'd obey God instead of their own "rights." I hope your friend is having a good time there!

G&P,

Eve

diane boucher said...

Thank you Eve for your sweet encouragement!! I'm glad your "search" brought you here! If you ever visit Sovereign Grace Church in Fairfax, drop me a note so i can be sure to meet you!

PS.. by the way! my friend is LOVING her roommates !!! :)

blessings,
diane