Thursday, May 15, 2008

THE TENDERNESS OF JESUS

Is 40:11
He will tend His flock like a shepherd; He will gather His lambs in His arms; He will carry them in His bosom and gently lead those that are with young.

"Who is HE of whome such gracious words are spoken? He is THE GOOD SHEPHERD. Why doth He carry the lambs in His bosom? Because He hath a tender heart, and any weakness at once melts His heart. The sighs, the ignorance, the feebleness of the little ones of His flock draw forth His compassion. It is His office, as a faithful High Preiest, to consider the weak. Besides, He purchased them with blood, they are His property. He must and will care for that which cost Him so dear. Then He is responsible for each lamb, bound by covenant engagements not to lose one. Morever, they are all a part of His glory and reward." (Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening, May 14 evening)

I read this quote from Spurgeon last night before I fell asleep and my soul was stirred with affection for Jesus as I considered HIS tenderness towards me. I love Spurgeon's words that say any weakness at once melts His heart. Jesus knows how weak we are, that's why He died for us!!! We are weak in sin, weak in living... we are just plain weak! Jesus sees our weakness and cares for us. This scripture is precious because it shows the tenderness of God. Spurgeon continues to say how carrying one in His bosom implies a very intimate relationship. Today I am reveling in my God who is a NOT a God far off, but a God very near. So near I think I hear His heartbeat.

No comments: