Wednesday, May 21, 2008

LOOK TO GOD!


Is 31:1
" WOE to those who go down to Egypt
1)for help
and
2)rely on horses,
3)who trust in chariots because there are many
and in
4)horsemen because they are very strong,
BUT DO NOT
1)look to the Holy One of Israel
or
2)consult the Lord!

This scripture was the very first verse I read this morning and it hit me between the eyes. The word "WOE" means to experience deep distress and misery. Yikes! Doesn't it seem counter-intuitive for a nation to be miserable if they depend on their military might? Doesn't that usually give us comfort and hope for victory or protection? How about us, in America, in post 9-11 living? Don't we feel comfortable in knowing that we have an incredible Homeland Security? Is this where our peace and comfort should come from? Not according to this scripture.


The bible says that WOE, misery and distress and trouble will come upon the ones who look to power and might for their protection and help INSTEAD of looking to the ONE, instead of consulting the LORD, the very ONE who gives us the horses, the horsemen and the chariots.. the Homeland Security, the military might .... It is GOD who saves, not our power and might.


I have begun to get a little worried about the direction that the elections are taking. It looks like Obama just may be our president. Yesterday I watched a video of Obama speaking to Planned Parenthood and he was just so callous when speaking of the unborn. It literally made me get teary eyes and frightened at what his presidency may bring to our country.


THEN... I read this scripture this morning. Although i am to be responsible in my voting, I am not to look to my president for my safety and hope. EVEN if THE perfect candidate were to become president who was pro-life, took perfect care of the poor, had THE perfect health plan etc ec... STILL I would be wrong to feel safe because of HIM/HER. Woe would still be mine if I looked to the perfect candidate rather than God!

My eyes must look to the Holy One of Israel, I must remember to consult the Lord. Let's pray for one another as the elections heat up. I can get caught up in it all and I want to REMEMBER to look to God and no where else!

No comments: