Wednesday, May 28, 2008

JESUS WEPT
John 11:35
“Jesus wept.”

One of my many prayers before God is that He would help me love Jesus more.

Today, as I read the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, in this tiny and short little scripture, my affections for Jesus were increased.

The bible tells us how Lazarus had been dead for 4 days, how Martha and Mary, Lazarus’s sisters, had been grieving and weeping at the loss of their brother. Each of the sisters expressed to Jesus, “Had you been here, he would not have died.” As Jesus observed the death of his friend and the grief of his family, even though he intended to raise him from the dead, he wept. Jesus wept with those wept. (Romans 12:15). When I read that this morning I was overcome with how Jesus is intimately involved with our tragedies and sadnesses.

I just read a blog this morning by a pastor who was trying to make sense of the tragedy of the death of Steven Curtis Chapman’s daughter. The pastor unfortunately wasn’t able to square it away with himself… he talked about how this death wasn’t fair, where was God, how could he let this happen? I felt so bad for this pastor for he apparently doesn’t have an understanding of God’s sovereignty and love. If I knew this pastor personally, I would tell him when He asked where was God? I would say, “He was weeping with the Chapman family, for God is compassionate and weeps with those who weep.
Now, THAT increases my love as I think of the almighty God understanding our griefs and sorrows.
(May God comfort the Chapman family).

No comments: