Tuesday, July 01, 2008

GUARD MY MOUTH O LORD!



Proverbs 21:23
“Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.”

Proverbs 13:3
“Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.”

So, these scriptures are great reminders to me to keep my big mouth shut. If I have nothing nice, kind, constructive or encouraging to say, then I must just keep my mouth shut. Keeps me out of trouble and ruin!
I am deeply aware of God’s great grace in my life. I used to feel compelled ALWAYS to speak what I was thinking. I have found that as the process of my sanctification continues I’m less and less compelled to speak my mind. Oh, believe me, there are days when I have a run of the mouth that probably makes up for the days I kept silent, but there again, I find God’s great grace.
I guess this is where that old saying came from, that my mom always used to tell me, “If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.”

Or… as Mark Twain said, “It is better to remain silent and appear stupid, then to open it and remove all doubt.”

But the most important reason to guard my mouth? I so desire to honor God with the words that come forth from my mouth. I want to glorify Him with my conversation. So, yea, that’s how you can pray for me today.

Are you guarding your mouth today?

No comments: