Tuesday, July 15, 2008

“If you see and savor mercy in Christ, you will LOVE being merciful.” (John Piper)

1 Peter 1:3-5
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power is being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”

I read this quote from Piper the other day and it really impacted me. I can really be hard on people who offend me or annoy me or frustrate me. ha! Even if it’s people I don’t know! It may be a political candidate, or the latest Hollywood star that whose life has run amuck. I can be critical and my comments unmerciful.

As I read this quote by Piper I began to think that if I really really really savored (to give oneself to the enjoyment of) the mercy I have in Christ how could I NOT be merciful to others! Therefore, if I find myself NOT being merciful then I must not be seeing and savoring the mercy I have received in Jesus Christ!

Looking at this scripture I see that preaching the gospel to myself would assist me in seeing and savoring mercy. This scripture tells me that it is God Himself who caused me to be born again. I could have been left dead in my sin, I could have been left to receive the full wrath and punishment of God that I deserve, BUT instead, according to HIS mercy He caused me to be born again! WOW! My prayer is that I would savor this mercy, enjoy it, love it, be thankful for it, be keenly aware of it and then, extend it to others!

No comments: