Thursday, July 17, 2008




Luke 6:41-42
“Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye but do not notice the LOG that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, “Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye when you yourself do not see the LOG that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the LOG out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye.””

“We’re all much better at seeing the sin, weakness and failure of others than we are our own. We’re all very good at being intolerant of others of the very things that we willingly tolerate in ourselves….what does this all mean? It means that accurate self-assessment is the product of grace. It is only in the mirror of God’s Word and with the sight- giving help of the Holy Spirit that we are able to see ourselves as we actually are. In those painful moments of accurate self-sight, we may not feel as if we are being loved, but that is exactly what is happening. God, who loves us enough to sacrifice His Son for our redemption, works so that we would see ourselves clearly, so that we would not buy into the delusion of our own righteousness and so that with a humble sense of personal need we would seek the resources of grace that can only be found in Him.” (Paul Tripp, Whiter Than Snow, pp 32-33)

When I worked at Burke Community Church I kept a log on my desk! I went to the wood pile in my backyard and got one of the biggest logs that would fit on my desk. It was a great conversation piece but I had it on my desk to have a visual reminder that before I examine someone’s “speck”, I needed to remember about the LOG in my OWN eye! It even served to remind me of my own “logs” when I was tempted to be annoyed or frustrated with a colleague or someone who was in my office for business. I appreciate Paul Tripp’s encouragement with the truth that God helps us see our sin because He loves us!!!! How gracious of God to continue to work in us to make us more like Jesus!

By God’s grace, I’m going to concentrate on LOG extracting in myself rather than speck searching in others!

No comments: