Saturday, March 29, 2008


THE SWEETEST THING OF ALL


Psalm 65:4

“Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!”

Psalm 27:4

“One thing have I asked of the Lord, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.”

I am in a state of awe and gratitude that God chose to bring me near to dwell in His courts through Jesus Christ! How can I NOT be satisfied with the goodness of the Lord and the holiness of His temple? I am so grateful for I know it was nothing in me that caused God to draw me near to Him but it was His great mercy and love and grace that He chose me. Thank you Lord! Because of God’s great mercy in choosing us we get the privilege of inheriting God HIMSELF and gazing upon his beauty for all eternity. I can hardly wrap my mind around that! But it’s true! I want to ponder and meditate today on God’s great love and mercy.

Funny, as I was reading these scriptures today and thinking about sitting in God’s temple I was reminded of the musical Fiddler on the Roof! In one of the songs that the main character Tevya sings is, “If I were a Rich Man” and this particular stanza always made me get weepy:

If I were rich,

I'd have the time that I lack

To sit in the synagogue and pray.

And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.

And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.

That would be the sweetest thing of all.

This poor man had no time to spend in the scriptures and pray as he wanted and he thought about being a man who was so wealthy that he wouldn’t have to work so then he could spend his time learning and praying.. to Tevya this would be the best aspect of being rich.

Since God chose, by His great mercy, to draw me near to him and gaze upon His beauty and therefore I have the privilege of having access to the very Word of God then do I consider time with God in prayer and His word the SWEETEST thing of all in my life? I am reminded once again that I do not have to “wish” for my time with the Father or in the Word, I just have to TAKE the time. I am blessed to live in a time and place where I have time.

Oh Lord, you have chosen to draw me near by your great mercy, help me to not waste my time but to use my time wisely and take the time to be with you and gaze upon your beauty and your holiness. I love you Lord, help me to love you more. I love your Word Lord, help me to love it more. Thank you for your grace, your mercy and your steadfast love. May I view my time with You in prayer and the Word as the sweetest thing of all. Amen.

No comments: