Thursday, March 20, 2008




SING TO THE LORD! SING ABOUT THE LORD!



“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness your hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16

“And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:18-20

“I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 89:1

“I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you Oh Lord, I will make music.” Psalm 101:1


So many things are rushing through my mind this morning as I think of singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.

Before my mom came to live with me I would go to my iTunes and select my favorite worship songs and listen through my quiet time and often just leave it on throughout my morning while at home. Once my mom moved in and I found that she joined me in the kitchen at the time that I would usually do my quiet time, I found that it wasn’t as easy to belt out songs of worship. :)


I eventually found my “groove” again with my quiet time but the music was replaced by a conservative, usually political, radio show that my mom likes to listen to. God has given me the ability to tune out things that I don’t want to hear.. so the radio show would be on but I wouldn’t hear a thing they were saying.


This morning, by God's sweet leading, I didn’t turn on the show for my mom. Instead, I turned on Stuart Townend's newest CD and found myself immersed in Cross centered, gospel centered, Christ centered music! Oh what a pleasant change from 2 men grousing about the political state of our nation and upcoming elections! I sat doing my quiet time, even doing all my blog reading that I do in the morning with this godly music playing. My affections were truly influenced by this music this morning. I felt my love for Jesus increase with each song as I sang and pondered the gospel. This music truly soothed my soul. I would sing (very quietly) or hum or just revel in the beautiful gospel words that I was hearing.


I realized anew how music affects my soul. If I’m hearing some rock classic that is sad or bluesy I find myself sad.. if I listen to country music I find myself downright depressed!!! Ha! But as I listen to gospel centered music I find myself joyfully being thankful to God for crushing His Son for my iniquities!


I remember my dad who immigrated to the United States immediately after WWII. My dad loved America but he sure did miss his homeland of Lithuania. Sometimes I would pass by the den and see my dad weeping as he was listening to Lithuanian music. Music affects our souls and our emotions.


So, I am renewed in being intentional about listening to cross centered music each and every day while at home. Psalm 89:1 says that “I will make known your faithfulness to ALL generations!” As this music is playing and as I pathetically sing along (good tone is NOT one of my gifts) :) my mom will hear the gospel over and over and over again!


My prayer is that I remain intentional about listening to godly music and not let fear of man interfere with this and that as my mom hears these words and songs that God would open up her eyes and hearts to see her need of a Savior.

I thank God for showing us in scripture that we should sing and make music to the Lord and about the Lord and we do so thankfully.

No comments: