Tuesday, March 04, 2008


COMPASSION!




Scripture for meditation: Tuesday, March 4, 2008


Mark 6:34

When he (Jesus) went ashore he saw a great crowd and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And he began to teach them many things.

“When I see persons who are are materially poor, I instantly feel a kinship with them, for they are physically what I was spiritually when my heart was closed to Christ. Perhaps some of them are in their condition because of sin, but so was I. Perhaps they are unkind when I try to help them; but I , too, have been spiteful to God when he has sought to help me. Perhaps they are thankless and even abuse the kindness I show them, but how many times have I been thankless and used what God has given me to serve selfish ends? .. the gospel reminds me daily of the spiritual poverty into which I was born and also of the staggering generosity of Christ towards me. Such reminders instill in me both a felt connection to the poor and a desire to show them the save generosity that has been lavished on me.” (A Gospel Primer, Milton Vincent, pp 34-35)

Many years ago through a book, Hunger for God, by John Piper… a book I was reading with a dear friend, I began to think about how I could serve the community around me. Not just the family of God, but those outside the family of God! (we must not neglect serving the family of God in our local church.. but this is beyond that).
I don’t know why that fervor I felt years ago went away.. maybe it was because I still had young children at home.. but I have had this passion to serve the community arise again in my heart. I read the Mark scripture and was struck by the compassion of Jesus. This scripture was found in the middle of Jesus healing so many people of all their diseases. He helped them and then he taught them .
Will I be called to serve the physically poor people so they will see the grace of Jesus? I feel myself drawn to homeless people and unwed about to be single mothers. I do not know where God is leading me through this but I do know it’s going somewhere! I don’t know WHEN this will all begin to come about but I believe God is placing it on my heart as he is preparing me for some sort of service as a result of the power of the gospel growing in me.

Please pray for me that I remain open to whatever God has prepared for me. Pray I stay close to God’s Word and immerse myself with His Word so when he speaks I will hear! I long to have Christ-like compassion, not just in my thoughts and prayers but in my actions.

Love you!
diane

No comments: