Wednesday, March 12, 2008




GOD BE MERCIFUL TO ME!


1 Timothy 1:12-17

I thank HIM who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because HE judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. BUT I received mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the foremost. BUT I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display His perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life. TO THE KING OF AGES, IMMORTAL, INVISIBLE, THE ONLY GOD, BE HONOR AND GLORY FOREVER AND EVER. AMEN.


I just love this scripture. I use it when giving my testimony. It describes me so well. For example, I, before I received Christ would turn on the tv and watch Christian networks and mock the people and their message for fun! I was indeed a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent, the foremost of sinners, in this and oh so many more ways!!!!! And then comes one of my most favorite words … “BUT” I received mercy!!!!! How beautiful is Christ Jesus!!!!!!!! It is good to re-visit this verse to remember what I once was, so mercy and grace are all the more amazing and Jesus is even more beautiful to me!

If I could have fit it on my card the following song would have been written on it. Based on Psalm 51…

GOD BE MERCIFUL TO ME (words by Richard Redhead)

God be Merciful to me
On thy grace I rest my plea.
Plenteous in compassion Thou
Blot out my transgressions now;
Wash me make me pure within
Cleanse, O cleanse me from my sin.

My transgressions I confess
Grief and guilt my soul oppress;
I have sinned against thy grace
And provoked thee to thy face;
I confess thy judgement just
Speechless, I thy mercy trust.

Sinners then shall learn from me,
And return O God to Thee
Savior all my guilt remove,
And my tongue shall sing Thy love
Touch my silent lips O Lord,
And my mouth shall praise accord.

May my life reflect the merciful work of Jesus in my life so sinners will learn from me the kindness, compassion and mercy found in Jesus Christ!

No comments: