Sunday, August 17, 2008

Romans 2: 1, 3, 4
“Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgement on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things… Do you suppose, O man, you who judge those who practice such and yet do them yourself- that you will escape the judgement of God? Or do you presume on the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?”

This scripture brought to my mind, yet again, one of the resolutions that Jonathan Edwards made that when he saw the sin of another that he would remember that he, himself, is the most vile of sinners and he let the knowledge of other’s sins cause him to go before God in confession and repentance of his own sins, the VERY same sins that he sees in others! The Holy Spirit continues to teach me about how to respond when I see the sins of others… I’m not where I ought to be in this area but by the grace of God I’m not where I used to be! Praise Him for sanctifying me and teaching me the ways of holiness. I long to be more merciful towards others as God is towards me.
Meditating on this I read another scripture this morning:

Psalm 107:43
“Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things, let them consider the steadfast love of the Lord.”

Psalm 107 describes the troubles of God’s people. They were in trouble, by their own sins and wanderings BUT THEN they called on the name of the Lord and delivered them from their darkness, or their distress because of HIS steadfast love.
THIS steadfast love is what we must consider. It is wise to do so! For we see God’s mercy and love and kindness towards us while we by our own sin and wanderings got into trouble!!!

Combining these two scriptures was easy for me today. If I consider the steadfast love of the Lord and how gracious and merciful He has been, is, and will be towards me, the fruit if this will be to be merciful at the sins of others and remember my own instead of concentrating on the sins of others!

Oh, how I love God’s Word! It is so beautiful! Thank you Lord for showing me how to apply your Word to my life today!

No comments: