Saturday, August 30, 2008

Romans 15:1-2

1. We, who are strong
2. have an obligation
3. to bear with the failings of the weak
4. and not to please ourselves
5. Let each of us
6. please his neighbor
7. for his good
8. to build him up.

It is helpful to me to sometimes take a piece of scripture and separate it by phrases. It assists me to see what it really says!

This particular scripture piggy backs on chapter 14 of Romans reminding us to not be a stumbling block to our brothers and sisters.

This scripture really hit me square between the eyes... not only am I not to judge someone for what they eat or drink and why they do or don't (or fill in the blank: participating in Halloween, whether they read Harry Potter or not, whether they listen to secular music or not... etc etc..), but I have an OBLIGATION to bear with them, this means, no frustrations, no getting angry, no deep sighing expressing my intolerance. I am not to please myself but I am to please my neighbor, for HIS GOOD, to BUILD HIM UP (in his faith). WOW!
I can tend to major on the minor issues... instead, conversations directing our gaze to the cross, to Jesus, to the beauty of the Gospel, is infinately more helpful and WILL build up our neighbor.

I have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak (in their faith)... remembering (!!!!) that the faith that I do have is not something I drummed up on my own but it is a gift given to me by God...

ahhhh.. that sheds a different light on everything doesn't it? ALL I have is given to me by God. God is never impatient with me, but by his grace he is slow to anger...

Thank you Lord, help me to bear with the failings of the weak and build me up where I am weak. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Romans 14 was a challenging chapter. I find myself deep sighing on the inside all too often! Hope your leg is doing better!

diane boucher said...

Thank you Aaron! My leg IS doing better. I'm still resting it but I am doing much much better! :)