Saturday, August 09, 2008

Psalm 141:4
“do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies.!”

What a great scripture to pray for ourselves and others! The last phrase, “and let me not eat of their delicacies” got me thinking. What delicacies from men who work iniquity do I eat? What movies do I watch? What TV shows do I watch? Do I excuse my watching certain movies and shows because just one little part is bad? How about comedians, late night talk show hosts? Do I laugh at their slightly “off color” jokes? Do I laugh when they slander and cut down celebrities and politicians?

As I ask myself these questions I realize that I may eat the delicacies of men who work iniquity far more than I thought! I realize that I need God’s assistance in discerning what I watch and listen to. I NEED God to not let my heart incline to evil or busy myself with wicked deeds. The comfort, the hope is that God DELIGHTS to help us and give us grace in time of need!!! Such grace and mercy is overwhelming!

Oh Lord, do not let my heart incline to any evil! Instead, incline my heart to your testimonies and not to selfish gain (Psalm 119:36).

No comments: