Monday, August 25, 2008

Romans 10:13-15
“For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him of whom they’ve never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, how beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!”

My pastor's sermon yesterday hit a home run with me! He commended the church for reaching out to the community through yard sales and car washes etc… sharing the gospel as we have conversations with the visitors to our church. Merritt challenged us, however, to be a “GO TO” church… to GO TO those who don’t come to our outreaches and make relationships with these people, to know them and love them and ultimately share the gospel with them. I was convicted by God that I tend to think that because I participate in these outreaches, that because I am involved in Alpha, that because I have shared the gospel with my mom, that I’ve somehow “punched” my evangelism ticket with God and that I don’t have to put forth any more effort to share the gospel outside of my little world. Ugh! I know that one of our reasons for being on earth is to share about Christ!!!

Merritt encouraged us to look for these relationships in our lives. I was thinking how these relationships could be with my neighbors, or your colleagues, or the cashiers at Giant that I have seen day after day, week after week for years!!!! I have a very outgoing personality and yet, when it comes to having spiritual discussions with these people, fear of man creeps in…no, fear of man STORMS in! I’ve had this conviction before but I am sorry to say it hasn’t gone anywhere but God in his kindness has brought it up again.

My prayer is that I would obey God and seize the opportunities he sets before me to develop friendships and share the good news!!! How is it that THE most important piece of news in the whole of life is so hard to share???

I do understand that it is not my words that save, it is not my sharing that saves.. it is God alone who regenerates a person and gives them the grace to turn to Jesus in repentance and faith. But! as this Romans scripture tells us, who can be saved if they don't hear??? It's our job to tell, God's job to save. When you think about it? we have the EASY job! :)

Oh Lord, may I love you so much that I can’t keep my mouth shut to even strangers! To family! To everyone! Send me, Lord! Send me! How will people know about you, if we don’t speak of you and share the gospel? Send me, Lord! Help me to obey you and share the gospel.

No comments: