Friday, August 29, 2008

1 Cor 8:13
“Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.”

Romans 14:13
“therefore, let us not pass judgement on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.”

Romans 14:19
“So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.”

I was struck this morning by Paul’s desire to help his brothers in Christ grow in holiness. These scriptures address the issue of whether eating food that had been prepared for idols is okay for Christians to eat. Some said yes, some said no. Paul’s point is whichever side you fall on, give up YOUR “right” on this issue so you don’t cause your brother to stumble in his faith.

I can’t help but examine myself and ask myself if I am willing to give up my perceived “rights” in order to help my brother stay true to his conscience and to help him/her grow in holiness. Do, I try and convince this person that he/she can go ahead and watch a movie or watch tv or not? Do I try and convince my fellow Christians that it is okay or not okay to have their children participate in Halloween? How about Santa Claus? Or Easter Bunny? We all have an opinion on these things .. are we thinking of our brothers and sisters and their conscience before we spout off our opinion, and in my case, my self- righteous opinion?

I have a beautiful personal example. My parents and my brothers were alcoholics. My pre-teenage years and beyond were spent trying to avoid being with these family members when they were drinking. As a result, I do not drink alcohol. I do not think it is a sin to drink responsibly but because of my backround, I cannot tolerate being around people who are drinking, even if it is responsible drinking. My husband, who hardly ever drank alcohol, stopped having the occasional glass of wine or beer so I would not be bothered. It wasn’t a sin for him to have those things but because “in humility he considered me more significant than himself “(Phil 2:3) he has not had a drop of alcohol in many, many years and will not allow it in our home; all because he understands the pain, for me, to be around those who drink. His kindness and humility most likely keep me from falling into the sins of judgement, anger etc, etc, etc.

I praise the Lord for the beautiful example he gives to us through Paul and for giving me a personal living out of this scripture in my dear husband.

Lord, thank you so much for the kindness you show me through Dennis. Please help me to be as considerate of others as he is of me. Help me not to be a stumbling block for others. Help me to help my brothers and sisters pursue and live in holiness. Amen.

No comments: