Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I don’t know about you but I am very quick to see someone else’s sin a whole lot quicker than I am able to see my own. It’s not because they’re not there, but because I can slip into self-righteousness so easily! I begin to think I have a speck in my eye but everyone else walks around with logs. The truth of the matter is, I have logs and everybody else has specks! I have been convicted over and over again that I have to stop this, not just with people I know but even with people I don’t know!!! Like the guy I read about in the newspaper, or the latest political candidate’s sin, or the mom I see yelling at her child in the grocery store!!! Why do I feel I can make judgements about them and feel better than them? It’s because I can be very self righteous! I think I am better than them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Lord, forgive me for so great a sin!!!!
So, following in the footsteps of my old dead friend Jonathan Edwards (http://www.apuritansmind.com/ChristianWalk/ResolutionsOfJonathanEdwards.htm) , I resolve as he did:

“to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I , and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others, and I will let the knowledge of their failings, promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.” (Jonathan Edwards)

No comments: