Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Psalm 62:8
“Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him, God is a REFUGE for us.”

Psalm 59:16-17
“But I will sing of Your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a FORTRESS and a REFUGE in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to You, for You O God are my FORTRESS, the God who shows me steadfast love.”

I love to look up definitions of words when I am reading Scripture. Even though I know the meanings of these words it is helpful to me to hone in on the exact meaning… so here are definitions (www.dictionary.com) of the two words that are used multiple times: Refuge and Fortress

Fortress = any place of exceptional security; stronghold

Refuge = shelter or protection from danger, trouble, etc. ; to take refuge from a storm
A place of shelter, protection or safety
Anything to which one has recourse for aid, relief or escape.


These definitions help me to absorb the meaning of these scriptures for my life… according to these definitions God is our shelter or protection from danger. God is a place of safety. God is the one in which we have recourse for aid, for relief and escape. God is a place of EXCEPTIONAL security, a stronghold!

No wonder we can call on God and say, “O my STRENGTH!” God shows us his steadfast love by being that refuge and fortress and strength in times of distress. Whether the distresses are trials and adverse circumstances, or our own sin… because of the precious blood of Jesus poured out for our sins we can run to God and find that security and shelter. Surely our own strength is limited at best and sure to fail, but GOD’S strength is sure and reliable.

May you see God today as the one who protects you, gives you shelter and safety. May you run to Him for aid and relief from the trials of the day and from the guilt of sin. May you see God today as the one whose love for you is steadfast and never ending. May you find your rest in God and experience His nearness as you take time in His Word today. May HE be your strength today.

No comments: