Monday, October 20, 2008

My soul was affected by the sermon my pastor delivered yesterday. We are in the midst of a series on Penal Substitution. I am so grateful that our pastoral team is doing this. It has been so good for my soul to ponder and meditate on the fact that "in MY place, condemned HE stood."

My pastor used a quote from The Gospel Primer (Milton Vincent, p 33) :

"A gruesome death like the one that Christ endured for me would only be required for one who is exceedingly sinful and unable to appease a holy God. Consequently, whenever I consider the necessity and manner of His death, along with the love and selflessness behind it, I am laid bare and utterly exposed for the sinner I am."

and Scripture:

Is 53:4-5

"Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrow; yet we esteemed him stricken, wmitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chatisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed."

to bring together the facts of my exceeding sinfullness and guilt, Christ's great sacrifice and death and God's great love and mercy. Realizing the extent of my sin, guilt and helplessness before a holy God; realizing the extent Jesus had to go through to atone for my sin , the crushing of himself by GOD!!!, and realizing that THIS is how much I am loved by God brings sorrow, repentance AND great joy! This is absolutely amazing!

I don't think I will ever understand how amazing the love, mercy and grace of God really is!

Lord, the words of "thank you" are so inadequate to express how thankful I am. Help me Lord to live a life worthy of what you did to save me. I am in awe that not only do you crush your Son for my sins but then you help me, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to live a life that is pleasing to you. You provide for EVERYTHING that I need to live for you. Make me humble, Lord and keep me surrendered to you in all things. I love you Lord, help me to love you more! Amen.

No comments: