Saturday, October 11, 2008

I love how God will remind us of Himself even when we are doing or reading something that is not “spiritual”.

I am re-reading (for the 10th time, maybe?) perhaps my most favorite book besides the Bible, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. In the very first chapter I read this sentence:

“Why my dear you must know, Mrs. Long says that Netherfield is taken by a young man of great fortune… and was so delighted with it (the estate) that he is to take possession before Michaelemas, and some of his servants are to be in the house by the end of next week.”

The footnote corresponding to this sentence said that, “it was common for servants to precede their masters in order to prepare a house for the latter’s arrival.” (annotated by David Shapard)

God IMMEDIATELY brought to my mind the following Scripture:
John 14:1-3
“Let not you’re your hearts be troubled, Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you, And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am, you may be also.”

I was struck by the humility of our Lord, Savior and Master Jesus Christ all over again! Here, HE is God and He is serving us! Customarily the servants go and prepare a place for the Master but instead, our Master and Lord prepares a place for us! Jesus serves us! While we were yet sinners He died for our sins. HE goes now to prepare a place for those who believe. HE will return and will take us to Himself! HE suffered so we will never suffer the wrath of God and just punishment for our sin and THEN HE goes and prepares a place for us performing the job of a servant.

Oh Lord, make me more like you. I grouse and complain about meals I have to cook . I complain about laundry and the messes in the house that never seem to end. Forgive me for my selfishness. Make me more like You, Jesus. Help me to serve others and not myself. Amen.

No comments: