Sunday, October 05, 2008

Galatians 6:1

"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgerssion, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted."

I confess that I have often confronted my dear sisters in Christ NOT in a spirit of gentleness. I would say that I have had more of a "bull in a china shop" approach in talking to someone about their sin. WHY? Pride and self righteousness. When i go to someone in frustration, anger, or exasperation what does this say about me? It says, "YOU are sinning (in this area of life) and I NEVER have and NEVER will, and if by chance I have then I, myself, got myself out of it." Now, who really thinks like that? I would venture to say many if not most of us do. We may not actually say or think those words, but our attitude would indicate that we indeed feel justified in our anger and frustration at someone else's sin. Why else would I be frustrated and exasperated?

However, if i have a true understanding of my own sinfullness, if I have a true understanding that I am capable of each and every sin , then I will not be angry or frustrated with my sister or brother in Christ. I would be gentle, compassionate, caring for their soul, fully aware that I could be tempted and fall into the very same sin. It does our soul good to remember that if not for the fact that God opened our eyes to see our own sinfulness we would still be dead in our sin, we would still be slaves to sin. BUT GOD, opens our eyes to see our depravity and our need of Jesus to save us from the just wrath of God for our sins.

I find that preaching the gospel to myself daily, and often during the day, humbly reminds me that God has been kind and gentle with me and that by His grace I, in turn, can be kind and gentle to my brother or sister caught in sin and GENTLY help them to see.

Lord, thank you for your kindness that has led me to repentance. Thank you Father that it is only through Jesus Christ that I have been reconciled to You. Thank you for your patience, steadfast love, and gentleness in how you have dealt with me. Thank you Jesus for bearing the full wrath of God for my sins and because you have done so I will never ever see the wrath of God for my sins. Oh Lord, how can this not humble me? Please forgive me for my pride. Help me to be compassionate, kind and gentle if there is a time when I need to confront a sister in sin. You have been so good to me.

No comments: