Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Scriptures to Ponder For Today: My 3x5 card for February 19, 2008

Matthew 6:5-6
And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

2Cor9:7-8
Each one must give as has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

My card is full today to include a prayer for God’s help as our new season of Alpha/ESL begins today! In listening to a sermon online by CJ Mahaney this morning he said something which struck a cord with me: Pride would be serving in ministry to impress, humility would serve in ministry to “Serve” (my paraphrase).

The Matthew scripture, although speaking of prayer, reminds me that I must not serve to impress or to be seen but to serve the Lord! The 2 Corinthian scripture reminds me today to serve with joy, to serve cheerfully.

In the past as the sessions of Alpha go into the 6th and 7th weeks I often begin complaining, sometimes aloud, sometimes inwardly about being busy every Tuesday night. Ugh! I am deeply aware today that my complaints are sinful and I need God’s help, I need God’s grace so that I may abound in every good work in serving the Lord by serving the Alpha and ESL attendees tonight and EVERY Tuesday night.

My desire is that MANY, that ALL would, as a result of hearing the gospel, turn to the Lord in faith and repentance and be saved! I pray that these 2 Scriptures would remind me today of the BIG picture of serving God and not myself and serving with cheer and joy by the grace of God who is able to make ALL grace abound to me!!! Amen?

No comments: