Saturday, February 23, 2008

KINDNESS

Scriptures on my 3x5 today: February 23, 2008

Good morning!

Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Proverbs 21:21
Whoever pursues righteousness and kindness will find life, righteousness and honor.

Proverbs 31:26
She opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

Zechariah 7:9
Thus says the Lord of host, render true judgements, show kindness and mercy to one another.

Galatians 6:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and faithfulness…

Last night I had the joy and privilege of watching one of our pastors display kindness about a situation. Once again, I am stunned and in awe at how easily kindness flows from the people in my church and it is modeled by the pastors.

For me, kindness is often an afterthought.. it is an “oops, this is how I could have shown kindness”..

I am going to follow the proverbs scripture and pursue kindness! I long to be kind with a kindness that is an overflow of my time with and intimacy with Jesus. This only comes from immersing oneself in the Word of God.

My prayer is that God would work in me and help me to show kindess, that the teaching of kindness would be on my tongue, that I would relentlessly pursue kindness that I would consistently show kindness and mercy to others.

When I first began attending Sovereign Grace Church I was stunned at the kindness of the people.. at first there were times I was even suspicious of this kindness.. thinking that perhaps I just “caught them on a good day!” ha! But of course, time revealed that this kindness is genuine and modeled and desired in my church and is evidence of grace and the Holy Spirit’s work from the top, down.

I have seen and been the recipient of this kindness over and over and over again and I long for it. Although these scriptures are on today’s 3x5 card I expect to meditate and ponder and pray about these scriptures long after today is gone.

No comments: