Friday, November 28, 2008

grumble...grumble...grumble...grumble...grumble...

James 5:9
"Do not GRUMBLE against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door."

grumble = to murmur or mutter in discontent; complain sullenly.

Are there any grumblers out there besides me? Are you like me? If someone annoys me or I get frustrated with someone I may not grumble to their face but I will sometimes go home and grumble to my spouse or to myself! BUT! this scripture clearly warns the believer to NOT grumble ... grumbling is not only complaining or being discontent with someone, it is actually judging someone! I confess that I am a closet grumbler! Sometimes I'm not so closeted about my grumbling!!

I admit to a bit of fear striking my heart as I read this scripture. Even if I committ no other sin (which of course I have), I deserve to be judged on this one alone!!! The scripture is clear that grumbling will bring judgement.

So, what is my hope?

JESUS! He alone is my hope.

I am assured that because I have received Christ and turned to Him in faith and repentance that this sin has been covered by the blood of my Savior and has been forgiven. Jesus has clothed me in HIS righteousness and I can stand before God, not as my judge but as my Father! wow! Romans 8:1 tells us that, "therefore, there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus." THIS is GOOD NEWS!

So then, do I continue to grumble because it's been covered by the blood of Jesus? NO! I do not want to trample on grace. I want to turn from this fairly consistent sin in my life but I do so with the help of GOD Himself! I am not a slave to this sin or any other sin in my life because I have been set free from slavery to sin and am now a slave to righteousness. I know that as I surrender to God in humility and repentance that He will change me. I want to serve Jesus by not grumbling and complaining.

oh LORD! I need your help! I don't want to grumble against my brothers and sisters or anyone anymore! Again, it is my tongue that shows what is in my heart. Change my heart oh Lord! I am hopeful and even sure that You are at work in me and I am grateful.

No comments: