Friday, November 07, 2008

Ephesians 4:29

“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”

That sure is a tall order! Oh how my desire is that the words that fall off my lips would always be encouraging and full of grace!!! It amazes me how one word of criticism can wipe out a paragraph of kind words. We tend to remember the harsh words spoken, we tend to be affected by the corrupting words that are said to us. Is that what I want people to remember about the words I speak? Of course not! And it’s not just the words we speak TO someone but this scripture applies to the words we speak ABOUT someone to include people we don’t even know!

This scripture applies to how we speak to our spouses, our children, our friends, our colleagues, our parents and the words spoken ABOUT them. It also applies to words we speak about politicians, celebrities, etc. The words we speak about someone corrupts the person who is hearing our words. Corrupt words are so damaging to the speaker, to the hearer and the ones spoken about.

When our family first started attending our church (Sovereign Grace Church in Fairfax, VA) I was taken aback by the kind words spoken by pretty much everyone we came in contact with. At first I thought that everyone was this kind with their words because we were visiting. As the kindness continued I then figured it was because we were still “new”… then I had the uncharitable thought that they didn’t really mean it!!!!!!!!!! As we continued to stay at this church and eventually became members, I realized that not only where these kind, grace filled words spoken, but they MEANT THEM! These people were sincere in what they spoke! Is everyone there perfect and without sin in their words? Of course not ! But I can say with honestly that kind and encouraging talk prevails there! Grace filled words and thoughts and actions are greatly encouraged at my church. I am so thankful God brought me there!

As I began to associate with these people and as I surrendered my mouth, tongue and heart to God in this area I found that He began to help me be kinder in the words I spoke. Trust me, I have a long way to go but God has certainly been changing my desire to really want to speak grace-filled words. When I don’t, in God’s kindness I feel his conviction almost immediately.

So, let’s pray that we continually seek God’s help in speaking grace filled words to one another and about one another.

No comments: