Thursday, September 11, 2008

John 15:13
“Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.”

In my recuperating and resting of my leg (which Dennis is forcing me to do), I have been watching a lot of movies and doing a lot of reading. Yesterday I watched a John Grisham novel made into a movie called, The Chamber. It was very good. I kept holding out for the happy ending but it didn’t come and yet, it ended the way it was supposed to.

In a nutshell, the grandson lawyer of an embittered, callous old man on death row for murdering children was trying to get a stay of execution for his grandfather. In the end, he couldn’t and the man was justly put to death for his crime. The last scenes were very graphic as the viewer watched this man’s heart finally soften towards others but was ready to face his execution by gas. I found myself repulsed and riveted to what I was watching. I found myself crying as this man was put to death, and at the same time realizing that he DESERVED to die for his crime. The scenes went back and forth between the guilty man’s execution, the crowds outside cheering for his death, and the grandson’s sorrow at failing to get a stay for his grandfather.

Then the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and I wept for I was reminded that I should be punished for all my sins. I DESERVE the just punishment of how I have offended God. BUT instead!!! Jesus was executed! A guiltless man was declared guilty! A guiltless Jesus came for the sole purpose of taking my sin upon himself and be executed for them. He bore the guilty price and I was declared set free!

As I watched this man in the movie die a horrible death, I thought of my Jesus dying an even more horrible death for he took on the wrath of God upon himself so I never, ever, ever would bear that wrath. Jesus was separated from God so I wouldn’t be!!! In the movie, the crowds cheered for this guilty man to die. In reality, the crowd cheered for a GUILTLESS man to die. I’m sure I would have been one of those cheering for JESUS to die BUT while I was a sinner, Jesus died for me. What great love is this!

How kind of God to minister to me through a silly movie while I rest my bum leg. :)

Thank you JESUS!

No comments: