Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." (Abraham Lincoln)

Proverbs 17:28 “Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.”

Interesting thoughts… Lincoln’s quote seems close to scripture but actually it is quite different… in the world’s eyes, the one who is silent, the one who perhaps doesn’t express his/her opinon very often, the one who avoids quarrels and words of contention, by the world’s standards is thought a fool. BUT in God’s opinion (the only one that counts!), according to proverbs, the one who keeps silent is considered wise… even a fool is considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut!

Either quote, though, says its better to remain silent… J Mr. Lincoln says you may be thought of as a fool if you remain silent, but it is better to be thought a fool than to prove it by speaking. God says, even a fool will be thought of as wise if he remains silent.. so therefore it is wise to be silent.

One of the things that God has been teaching me for a couple of years now is to talk less and listen more. He has been teaching me that I don’t have to tell everyone everything I know or think I know! I do not have to express my opinion or make a point about everything that is being discussed in front of me. God has given me so much grace in this area! I used to be like a bull in a china shop with my words all the time! If there was a doctrine to defend, I was defending it and not humbly. If there was a political point to make, I was making it! If there was an opinion on child rearing or marriage issue I was voicing it! But by God’s grace I am keeping silent more and more.

As those who know me well know, I am NOT perfect in this area AT ALL! But hopefully I am getting better. I certainly desire to be more silent in certain areas of my life. Proverbs tells us to seek and treasure and value wisdom! If remaining silent is wise, then this is definitely an area I will continue to surrender to God. I want him to change me!!!

Is it ironic then that I write a blog??? Is it because I want to be heard? Hmmm… I hope and pray it is for the encouragement of the saints and the glory of God!

No comments: