Friday, September 05, 2008

“I feel, when I have sinned, an immediate reluctance to go to Christ. I am ashamed to go. I feel as if it would do no good to go, as if it were making Christ a minister of sin, to go straight from the swine-trough to the best robe, and a thousand other excuses; but I am persuaded they are all lies, direct from hell.
John argues the opposite way: ‘If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father.’ (1 John 2:1). I am sure there is neither peace nor safety from deeper sin, but in going directly to the Lord Jesus Christ. This is God’s way of peace and holiness. It is folly to the world and the beclouded heart, but it is the way.”
—Robert Murray M’Cheyne, quoted by Andrew Bonar,
Robert Murray M’Cheyne (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1960), 176

Just the other day after being convicted of sin, I thought to myself, “how can I go to the Father after I so blatantly sinned? Do I even feel a godly sorrow?” I ended up going to the Lord and expressing regret at my sin but also confessed my lack of godly sorrow and even though this was the right thing to do, I still felt that niggle of guilt. As I read this quote (which I received this morning from one of my favorite blogs,( Of First Importance), I was encouraged and relieved! When we sin where else CAN we go? We HAVE to run to the Father… we have no other hope!!! Before the Father through Jesus Christ is our ONLY hope!!!!!! This is the way to peace and holiness!

There is a lot of talk in the Christian community of what spiritual warfare is. A few weeks ago my pastor reminded us that spiritual warfare is the devil casting doubt upon God’s promises and character. I was in the midst of spiritual warfare the other day when I thought that I could not go to God with this sin because I wasn’t “properly” sorrowful! What a lie!!! Where else was I to go??????

I am so encouraged and grateful to God for the timing of this quote on a blog that I read! I was refreshed and reminded of the greatness and goodness of God. I was reminded of His delight in giving grace and mercy. He knows that I am but human and I need His help. My poor heart was afraid but I was reminded that my debt was paid! ( Jesus, My Only Hope).

AMEN? AMEN!

No comments: