Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The hidden life (J. R. Miller, "The Hidden Life" 1895)

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart!" 1 Samuel 16:7

Those who are striving to live near the heart of Christ, must realize that it is the hidden life which makes the character.

What we are in the depths of our being, where no human eye can penetrate--that we are actually, as God sees us.

This inner life will ultimately work its way through to the surface--transforming the character into its own quality.

Nothing can be more important, therefore, than that the hidden life be true, pure, beautiful, and Christ-like.

"Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart!" 1 Samuel 16:7


I receive a small devotional from the site, gracegems.org. This one really hit me this morning so thought I’d share it with you.

As I read this I was even more aware of how much I depend on God for the sanctification of my soul. Scriptures tell me in Jeremiah 17:9 that our hearts are deceitful above all things and beyond cure, who can understand it? The bible tells us from beginning to end that GOD understands our hearts and he has the cure! JESUS!

I am encouraged this morning to rest in the promises of God that He will complete what he has begun in me, that He will sanctify me completely. I don’t even know the depths of the wickedness of my heart! I can deceive myself into thinking that it’s not that bad!!! But God knows and HE, by his grace, by the blood of Jesus took that heart of stone and softened it and made it desire and treasure Jesus! AMAZING!

Some people get panicked when they realize that God knows and understand the depths of our hearts. Believe it or not I find it comforting! I know that God knows the depth of my sin and saved me and continues to sanctify me and brings to surface remaining sin that I wouldn’t even be aware of if it were not for the kindness of God who leads me to repentance!

This motivates me to press in close to Jesus, the ONLY cure to my heart problems!

Does it motivate you?

No comments: