Thursday, July 19, 2007

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God"

My son Patrick is a soldier in Iraq and has been there for over a year and will be there for a while more. God has been so merciful in blessing me with a faith to trust in HIM and be at peace about Pat being at war. There have been moments where my heart was not at rest but those times have been few and far between.
Today is one of those days when I have to press into my Savior and God and pray extra hard for my son and pray for my faith to increase.

My mother's heart is sad that my son has to endure the rigors of war and all that war entails. Yet, I KNOW that God is sovereign in all things.. in war and in my son's life both physical and spiritual.

I have been thinking about King David this morning. He was a warrior! He was a soldier's soldier! He was a mighty mighty warrior! YET, he was a man after God's heart. What a precious picture that is to me.. of this manly man, this soldier in battle with a tender, precious, surrendered heart to God. I pray that this is how God will work in my son.

All morning long the following hymn has been running through my mind. As you read the words may God direct your gaze to the cross. Whatever your "trouble" is today, whether it is a job change, a move across the country, a troubled marriage or friendship, ill health or a wayward child.... sing this hymn and meditate on:

Psalm 46:10: BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD!

BE STILL MY SOUL by Katharina A. von Schlegel (1752) http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh534.sht

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

No comments: