Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I was reading John Pipers blog this morning, specifically his response to a radio interview he heard with Rabbi Kushner. http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/750_response_to_rabbi_kushner/

The following sentance written by Piper provoked me to think of the severity of my sin and God's great mercy.

The most astonishing thing is that God’s grace is so great neither the Rabbi nor I was struck dead by God during the interview—he, because of his blasphemous belittlings of God, and I, because of my contaminated anger at what he said.

I was struck by John Piper's humility and understanding that even his righteous anger at the remarks made by Rabbi Kushner were contaminated by sin. Surely we should be righeously outraged at the remarks made by the Rabbi!! And yes, we should be.. but we must also understand that even our most righteous anger at wickedness and sin is contaminated by our own sin! THUS, the need of a Redeemer and Savior!

Oh how I long to have an even deeper awareness and understanding of my own sin.

CJ Mahaney spoke at my church this Sunday about "the cup" that Jesus had to drink. I was reminded that Jesus drank the cup of God's wrath so I could drink the cup of salvation!!! Oh Lord, thank you!!!!

In reading Piper's blog I am reminded of total depravity.. not that I sin to the most extreme all the time but that ALL my life and all parts of it are tainted by sin. This rememberance makes me all the more grateful that Jesus drank the cup of God's wrath that I was supposed to drink.

Oh Jesus! Thank you so much for drinking the cup of God's wrath that is deservingly mine so that I could drink the cup of salvation. May my life be worthy of the calling. Work in me oh Lord to make me more like you! Thank you for refreshing in me the joy of Thy salvation!

No comments: