Sunday, July 08, 2007

Our family has had the blessing of watching God at work in the lives of a little bird family. We watched as a mom and dad bird built a nest in between the screen and the window of my daughter's room. We saw them gather grass, twigs and anything else which makes for a good and safe nest and then they built this incredibly intricately beautiful home.

How do they know what to get and where to get it?

We watched as the birds settled into their new home. We watched as the mommy bird took care of her eggs. Before we knew it there was the joyful squawking of newborn baby birds!! (Much to my daughter's chagrine, their "joyful" squawking was not necessarily music to her ears at 6 AM every morning)!!! :) I was in awe as I watched the mommy and daddy birds bring food to their babies. We watched as the mom and dad birds looked to the right, to the left, up and down assessing whether danger lurked any where before they flew to get the food.

How did they know to be cautiously looking out for danger before they ventured out into the world?

How did they know where to go and get the worms, bugs, slugs and other nasty things that birds eat? How did they know when they came back to the nest which of all these wide open mouths crying out for food did they already feed?

Then one evening my son, who has avidly been watching these birds, came running downstairs all excited because the baby birds were learning how to fly. It was so incredible! They would fly up the window in between the screen and window.. so if they fell they fell unto their soft nest instead of plummetting to the ground. We were entertained for quite some time as we saw them perfect the art of flying.

The next day our little family of birds were gone. What a beautiful gift God gave us as we watched the cycle of life of this bird family!

I thought of the following Scriptures as I watched these birds:

Matthew 6:25-27 "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, not about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"

and

Matthew 10: 28-31 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs on your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows."

These Scriptures answered all the questions I posed above... My Father God takes care of these little birds. He made them so they KNOW where to go and get the food, and He made them so they KNOW how to build their nests and watch for danger before they fly away from their safe haven. The Scriptures tell us that not one of these little birds fall to the ground apart from the Father's will. AND, we are of more value than these birds to our Father and look at the meticulous care He gives to them! How much more does He promise us!!!??

Oh Christian, why do we waste our time in the sin of fear? Trust God! Are you fearful of a new job? Moving to a new home? Lost your job? Are you sick? Are you fearful of man? Whatever it is that we fear the answer is the same, trust in God for we are of more value than the many sparrows that God cares for.

Oh mighty, generous and gracious Father. Thank you. Thank you for the great care you give to me daily. Thank you that you provide for all that I need. Thank you for your faithfulness! You are WORTHY to be trusted. Lord, You took care of my worst problem... my sin. You sent Jesus to live a perfect life, to die for my sins, to take the wrath and punishment that is due to me for my great sin upon Himself, You raised him from the dead and now he lives at Your right hand !! AND He will come again!!! You brought me to faith and repentance and now You work in me to make me more like Jesus everyday! OH Lord, such care you give to me!!! You saved me to live with You eternally .. how easy for You, then, to see to my daily needs and care for these! Lord, help me to keep this perspective as You keep my eyes on the cross, as you keep my eyes on Jesus. Oh Lord God thank You for Your gracious care of me! Amen.

No comments: