Friday, January 23, 2009

This morning I read a chapter from the book, “Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross,” edited by Nancy Guthrie.

The selection I read was by CJ Mahaney titled, “The Cup.” CJ’s writing centered on the scripture from Matthew 26:39 which reads: “And going a little farther He fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

CJ wrote of how Jesus requested that the cup of God’s wrath (based on Is 51:17) which he was about to drink would pass by Him…yet Jesus would do the will of God and drink this cup for your sin and MINE! The result of Jesus’ obedience is that you and I who trust in Jesus through faith and repentance will NEVER KNOW THE WRATH OF GOD, but instead will drink from the cup of salvation now, forever and eternally! Amazing!

This selection that I read today deeply affected my soul and prompted the following prayer:

Lord Jesus, words could never express my gratitude. I’m pretty sure that my little heart is not even capable of knowing the amount of gratitude that your sacrifice should generate. So Lord, I ask for the grace to love you more. I ask You for the grace to obey your commands. I ask You for the grace to love and serve others more and ALL this to reflect how great and glorious YOU ARE! I cling to You and I thank you that I drink from the cup of salvation for all eternity in the presence of my God and Father all because you did as He willed and drank the cup of God’s wrath meant for me. You alone are worthy of all praise! Amen. I highly recommend this book! It does indeed draw one near to the cross.

Here is a video that takes excerpts from CJ Mahaney’s sermon on, THE CUP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXRgA75czE

May your soul be as affected as mine was and direct your gaze to Jesus.

No comments: