Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Scriptures and Thoughts to Ponder for: Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Here is my 3x5 card:

“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves.” Phil 2:3 (NASB)

Proverbs 21:21

“…pursue.. kindness…”

Puritan writer Matthew Henry was once robbed by thieves and recorded this in his journal:

“Let me be thankful first because I was never robbed before; second, although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, because, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed and not someone else.”

This response from Matthew Henry particularly point #4 reflects a man who understood and lived out Philippians 2:3. He truly esteemed others as more important than himself .. in kindness for others he was GLAD it was him who was robbed and not someone else. Do I look at my misfortunes this way? Not always. When calamity falls upon myself am I thankful that it was on me and not someone else? I’m sure that I don’t wish that something bad happened to someone else instead of me, but am I openly thankful that others were spared and it was I who suffered instead? Isn’t that was Jesus did for us? He took upon himself the wrath of God and punishment for MY sin and was GLAD to do it! Hmmm… my prayer continues to be, Lord let me esteem others as more important than myself!

ps. I saw the Matthew Henry quote on this blogsite: http://www.theblazingcenter.com. The author had a different perspective on it but it caught me differently. Please go read his blog.. it's fantastic and great words of wisdom!

No comments: